Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Dog Mats

It's been getting chilly around here, and I know my pup is a little cold too.  So, I've wanted her to have a bed to lie on while I crochet, without having to move hers all over the apartment every day.  I've been looking to buy her another one, but in the meantime I decided to crochet one up, and just see how it would turn out.

My first attempt, I chained 31, which looked to be the right width to fit in her crate, and then I crocheted a rectangle.  After several rows, I compared it to the crate again and realized that I had made it too large, so I simply decided to turn it and make it the length instead of the width.  It ended up being 12"x18", just big enough for her to lie down on if she was curled up in a little ball exactly in the middle. 

Further work was needed; this attempt was relegated to her crate because it's better than nothing for my pup.  This would also be good as a doormat.

My next attempt, I decided to make circular.  This one was not designed to fit in her crate at all.  She was curled up at my feet as I was working on it, so I would periodically lay it over her to determine if it was big enough yet or not.  This one ended up being 18" in diameter, so it's nice and big for her.

Here are the patterns:
First attempt:
Working with 3 strands together throughout.
Chain 31
Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc across (30 sc)
Rows 2-18: ch 1, turn, sc across (30 sc)
Border:
Work 2 rounds of sc with 3 sc in each corner

Made with Red Heart yarn in Country Rose, Coffee, and Claret and an M hook. 

Second attempt:
Working with 3 strands together throughout:
Chain 2
Round 1: 6 sc in 2 2nd ch from hook
Round 2: 2 sc in each sc around (12 sc)
Round 3: (2 sc in sc, sc in next sc) around (18 sc)
Round 4: (2 sc in sc, sc in next 2 sc) around (24 sc)
Round 5: (2 sc in sc, sc in next 3 sc) around (30 sc)
Round 6: (2 sc in sc, sc in next 4 sc) around (36 sc)
Round 7: (2 sc in sc, sc in next 5 sc) around (42 sc)
Round 8: (2 sc in sc, sc in next 6 sc) around (48 sc)
Round 9: (2 sc in sc, sc in next 7 sc) around (54 sc)
Round 10: (2 sc in sc, sc in next 8 sc) around (60 sc)
Round 11: (2 sc in sc, sc in next 9 sc) around (66 sc)
Round 12: (2 sc in sc, sc in next 10 sc) around (72 sc)
Round 13: (2 sc in sc, sc in next 11 sc) around (78 sc)
Round 14: (2 sc in sc, sc in next 12 sc) around (84 sc)
Round 15: (2 sc in sc, sc in next 13 sc) around (90 sc)
Round 16: (2 sc in sc, sc in next 14 sc) around (96 sc)
Round 17: (2 sc in sc, sc in next 15 sc) around (102 sc)
Round 18: (2 sc in sc, sc in next 16 sc) around (108 sc)
Lip:
Round 19: (2 sc in sc, sc in next 16 sc) around (108 sc)
Round 20: (2 sc in sc, sc in next 16 sc) around (108 sc)
Round 21: (2 sc in sc, sc in next 16 sc) around (108 sc)
Round 22: (2 sc in sc, sc in next 16 sc) around (108 sc)

Made with Bernat Handicrafters Cotton yarn in Lotus Twists with an M hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment