Monday, January 23, 2012

Moving right along: Stitch Two!

I have used this stitch before to make scarves, so I knew before I began that I liked this stitch.  The word to describe this stitch is simple.  It's an easy stitch to master and it quickly becomes mindless.  That makes it great for projects you'd work on while watching a movie or talking to people.  At the end, both sides are the same, and the overall effect is one of lacy elegance.  If your primary goal is warmth, this is not the stitch for you because there are gaps inherent in the work that would let the cold in.  If you want something quick and easy that also looks very nice, it is a great stitch.

So, here's how to make it: Ch 90, then work the stitch as the book directs until the blanket is square.  Then put a border on it and you're done.
Round 1: sc around, 3 sc in each corner
Round 2: (dc, ch 1, sk 1) around, (dc, ch 1, dc, ch 1, dc) in corner
Round 3: (dc, ch 1, sk 1) around, (dc, ch 1, dc, ch 1, dc) in corner
Round 4: (dc, ch 1, sk 1) around, (dc, ch 1, dc, ch 1, dc) in corner
Round 5: sc around, 3 sc in each corner

I made this using Bernat Baby Coordinates Tangerine Dream yarn with a J hook.

I've already made several scarves using this stitch and it has worked out well.  For scarves I recommend beginning by chaining 20, this will give you three repeats of the pattern, and thus two stripes.  You can also, of course, begin by making a long chain and only doing a few rows.  I have made both, and I prefer the first option.  The blue scarf was made by beginning with a ch 20; the variegated scarf was made by chaining 167 and doing 9 rows.

No comments:

Post a Comment