Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Speedy Afghan

Have you ever looked at a ball of yarn and just seen what you should make?  That happened to me last week when I found some clearance yarn at Hobby Lobby.  I bought the yarn and planned out the afghan, which I was planning to keep for myself.  The next day I went to a friend's wedding and the colors I had bought were exactly the colors they had used.  The entire time I was working on this blanket I was thinking of them and I realized that this was really for them.  I would always think of them when I saw it, so when they get back from their honeymoon, I'll give it to them.

Anyway, I got carried away with this project and I completed the entire blanket in only 6 days!  I didn't think that was possible, but I had nothing planned for the weekend, and no other large projects I was committed to working on.  Additionally, the design of the blanket motivated me to do a little more than I normally would.  I did blocks of color that were 12 rows high.  Where normally I might have wanted to stop after doing 9 rows, I'd go ahead and finish all 12.  Also, since each of the color blocks is roughly 11" tall, I only needed to do 8 blocks.  So, I originally had planned to do a block a day and be done in 8 days, plus another day probably to add a border.  On the third day of this, I felt like doing more after I had finished my block.  That all contributed to this being done in record time.

So, here's the pattern:
Chain 182 in yellow, then work stitch 13 from the Triple Play Pattern Stitches book.


Color Pattern: 12 rows each of (yellow, white, gray, yellow, white, gray, yellow, white)

Then add this border in gray: (it's the same one I used for the Thin Mint Blanket, and the Oreo Blanket)
Round 1: sc around, 3 sc in corner
Round 2: dc around, 5 dc in corner
Round 3: sc around, 3 sc in corner
Round 4: (dc, ch 1, sk 1) around, (dc, ch 1, dc, ch 1, dc) in corner
Round 5: sc around, 3 sc in corner
Round 6: dc around, 5 dc in corner
Round 7: sc around, 3 sc in corner

I made this with I Love this Yarn in Buttercup, Antique White, and Graybeard yarn with a J hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment