Wednesday, March 28, 2012

In the home stretch: Stitch Twenty-Five

I have finally reached the point of being sick of making baby blankets: it only took twenty-five!  This blanket took me a full week to accomplish, not because it is difficult, tedious, or slow, but because I just didn't want to pick it up.  Instead, I began two full sized blankets, made a shawl, and played around with several other projects.  I did finally complete it, and I like the end result.  I like the grid made up of triangles.  This is a distinctly Aggie baby blanket, which is what I was going for.  The stitch itself is simple, mindless, and easy to do.  The fabric generated is solid and warm like stitches 3 and 17 because of the long dc stitches.  This stitch would be pretty for scarves, afghans, baby blankets, etc.

The color pattern I used was (2 rows of maroon, 1 row of white) repeated, ending with 2 rows of maroon and a maroon border.  

Here's how to make it:
Ch 91 then work stitch until work is square and add a border:
Round 1: sc around, 3 sc in each corner
Round 2: dc around, 5 dc in each corner
Round 3: sc around, 3 sc in each corner
Round 4: (sc, ch 3, sk 1) around, (sc, ch 3, sc in same stitch) at corner

I used Bernat satin yarn in Bordeaux and Snow with a J hook to make this blanket.

6 comments:

  1. Hi - I really like this pattern but with 1 row white, 2 rows maroon, there are lots of cut . I don't see how you can carry the thread up the side. Am I missing something?

    thanks,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be posting specifically about this sometime in the future, but the basic idea is that you do not cut the yarn when you get to the end of the row. For an ending dc, you would yarn over adn insert the hook into the last stitch, then for pulling it through, instead of grabbing only one strand, you pull through with both. You then chain with the both strands held together and release the one that you are not going to be using now. It is then there for you to pick up 2 rows later when you are back at that end. For this project, I had three balls of yarn attached to the project. Hope that helps.
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you had 2 balls of white and ball of maroon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had 2 balls of maroon, and one of white. I changed yarn every row.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Sarah - I am ready to start this pattern and just wanted to verify - to start: chain and 1st row are with one ball maroon
    2nd row is with 2nd ball of maroon
    3rd row is with white???

    Thanks again!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is completely correct; I'd love to see pics of it when you're done!

      Delete