Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Moving the Chains: Stitch Ten!

I make a habit of not watching movies or tv, or really doing anything seated for a protracted period of time without having something to keep my hands busy.  Basically, if I'm not playing cards or eating a meal, I'm crocheting.  Stitch ten was my project for the Super Bowl this year.  While I was working on this, someone asked me if it was a version of the shell stitch.  That made me look at the stitch from a new perspective.  This stitch has no shells in it; it is just clusters made to look like shells, which is pretty cool.  This stitch is lacy and looks complicated, but it is actually fairly simple.  Unlike the previous stitch, it is obvious where to do each component of the stitch.  This makes it easy to make everything line up properly. 

Though I like the stitch, I don't think it is appropriate for a scarf.  Neither a short or long chain scarf would allow the beauty of this stitch to come through.  This stitch worked well in a baby blanket and would be good for a full sized blanket as well.  Time for another story from the Super Bowl party: during a break from crocheting, (probably a trip to the party food table), one of my friends picked up the baby blanket, folded it in half, to make a triangle, and wore it like a shawl. It looked great that way and I suspicion that there is a way to make it triangular without folding it, but that would take some improvising.  In any case, there are many potential uses for this stitch. 

So here's how to make it:
Chain 92, then work the stitch until the work is square.  Add this border and you're done:
Round 1: sc around, 3 sc in each corner
Round 2: dc around, 5 dc in each corner
Round 3: sc around, 3 sc in each corner
Round 4: (sc, ch 3, sk 1) around, (sc, ch 3, sc in same stitch) at corner
I made this from Bernat Satin Sports Rouge with a J hook.

3 comments:

  1. Is this the border? Where is stitch ten? I found stitch 0010 but it didn't look like this. Please help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This is part of a series where I was trying out all of the stitches in a book. I introduced it:
      http://engineeredcrochet.blogspot.com/2012/01/i-have-plan.html
      and gave my final review of it:
      http://engineeredcrochet.blogspot.com/2012/04/book-in-review.html

      I highly recommend this book.

      Delete