Thursday, March 20, 2014

Shiny Mint Blanket

Undoubtedly, the biggest fan of my crocheting, and this blog, is my mom.  Whenever I talk to her she always asks when the next post is coming.  So, I decided it was past time for her to have her very own blanket.  Therefore this Christmas that was her present.  Having the blanket be for my mom, it was actually fairly easy to design because I know her and her house so well.

So, I had this general idea of a design in my head, but nothing specific.  Then I looked around and noticed a blanket I had started months earlier but hadn't finished.  It was perfect.  The color was right.  Also, I know that in Texas a really warm blanket is not desired.  So using Simply Soft instead of my usual I Love this Yarn brand would work great.  Simply Soft is soft and has somewhat metallic sheen to it. 

This blanket had started as a way to use up more clearance yarn that I had impulsively bought.  I had skeins and skeins of it, lots of skeins.  So, to use up more of it, I chose to make a queen sized blanket.  That was a good decision because my mom has a queen size bed, so it was perfect.  Also, I did use up all of the yarn I had and actually had to buy one more skein to finish it.

I decided to use stitch 23 for the blanket because I know that it works extremely well with solid colored yarn.  This isn't the first blanket I've made with it either.  I made a maroon blanket for myself, details are at the bottom of this post.  I'm happy with it, but it's hard to see the pattern because the yarn is so dark.  So this mint green color was perfect.

Chain 203, then work stitch until satisfied with length.  Add this border to finish:
Round 1: sc around, 3 sc in each corner
Round 2: dc around, 5 dc in each corner
Round 3: sc around, 3 sc in each corner
Round 4: dc around, 5 dc in each corner
Round 5: sc around, 3 sc in each corner

I made this with Simply Soft in Woodland Heather and a J hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment