Thursday, July 5, 2012

Math and Shells

The last stitch I introduced, the spaced shell stitch, was a variation on the simple shell stitch.  Well, I decided to make another variation of the shell stitch, replacing some of the '5 dc' with chains.  While I was working on it, I began to wonder how other possibilities would look.  After more consideration, I realized that each of the 5 dc could be either a dc, denoted by a 1, or a ch, denoted by a 0.  Since there are 2 possibilities for each of 5 different spots, there are 2^5 possibilities, so 32 different combinations to try.  Everything from a ch 5 (00000) to the simple shell stitch (11111), and everything in between.  I suspect that some of them will look pretty much identical.  For example (10000) and (00001) probably look the same.  I intend to try the combinations and see what results. 

2 comments:

  1. This is one of the most fascinating sets of algorithms I have come across in the world of crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the most fascinating sets of algorithms I have come across in the world of crochet.

    ReplyDelete